I’m going to rant a bit about the availability and pricing of transportational cycling gear inside the US, because I’ve been inspired by recent purchases. Continue reading
I’ve been busy upgrading my folding bike.
Starting point was a bone-stock 2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1.
Added the following:
- Skyway Tuff Pads (they appeared to be the Kool Stop salmon compound, and the LBS had them in stock, not sure that’s what they actually are, though)
- 1976 Sachs Duomatic 28h 2-speed kickback IGH coaster brake hub, built into a Sun CR18 rim by the LBS (gearing is 48/22)
- Planet Bike Superflash, turns out that it lines up perfectly under the sprung saddle
- TransIt Epic DX rack trunk
- Biologic Joule 2 20h dynamo hub (Biologic/Tern sells these prebuilt with Kinetix Comp rims for $115 shipped to the US)
- Tektro Sabre BX2 brake lever (the stock plastic lever was honestly terrifying)
- Busch & Müller Lumotec Lyt BN plus headlight (in German)
I think this is pretty much all this bike needs except for maybe tires and a pedal upgrade.